Keeping Out Pests
CLEAN! CLEAN! CLEAN!
DO A LITTLE EVERY DAY! KEEP YOUR HOME CLEAN AND DRY! Throw out the trash!
Get rid of clutter! Take action NOW to keep pests out. Stop pests - cockroaches, ants, and mice without pesticides:
- Keep kitchen area CLEAN. Even tiny crumbs or liquid in cracks are food for pests. Clean counter tops and floors EVERY DAY.
- Keep pests out. Seal openings in the walls.
- Don’t feed them. Put away food, clean up, and cover the trash. Store food in sealed containers.
- Don’t give them water. Fix leaks and wipe up spilled water.
- Don’t give them a home—get rid of old newspapers, boxes, and other clutter in the kitchen and bathrooms.
- Look for signs of cockroaches and other pests.
- Bugs in the house – dead or alive!
- Pest feces – small, brown droppings.
- Signs of rats or mice nesting - shredded paper, trash piled .
- Odd smells and sounds – sounds of rats and mice scratching in the walls or the smell of urine.
Think You Have Pests? GET HELP!
TELL YOUR SUPPORTER! Do not be embarrassed. It can happen to anyone. Tell them – show them - what you have seen, heard, or smelled. If you are a renter, TELL THE LANDLORD. People living in other apartments may be affected. The landlord will want to make sure it doesn’t spread. ACT QUICKLY. Don’t wait. It can only get worse!
What About Using Chemicals? Do everything you can to keep from getting pests - and to get rid of pests – without using poisonous chemicals. If you can’t avoid using dangerous pest control chemicals, DO NOT DO IT WITHOUT HELP.