What are Colds and the Flu?
- Colds and the flu are very common illnesses.
- People who have a cold often feel tired, have a runny nose and sore throat, and sneeze a lot.
- People who have the flu often have a fever, body aches, a headache, a cough, and a sore throat.
You can get colds or the flu from people who are sick by:
- Breathing in their germs.
- Touching your eyes, nose, or mouth after getting their germs on your hands.
- Touching a cup, or something else that you will put in your mouth, after getting germs on your hands.
You can get germs on your hands by:
- Being near someone who is sick when they cough or sneeze.
- Touching someone who is sick, or touching things in their room or house when they are sick.
WASH YOUR HANDS!
This is the most important thing that you can do to prevent colds and the flu.
- Wash your hands under running water.
- USE SOAP!!!
- Clean above your wrists, between your fingers and under your fingernails.
- Use a towel to turn off the water AND to open the door, if you are in a sick person’s room.
For more information on clean hands and health, click here!
You can also protect yourself from getting sick by:
- Asking your doctor about getting vaccinated for the flu.
- Drinking plenty of water.
- Getting plenty of fresh air.
- Eating your fruits and vegetables.
- Relaxing and getting plenty of sleep everyday.