If you should fall –
- Lie still for a minute.
- Stay calm.
- Check for injuries.
- If there is someone close, ask them to help.
If you are unhurt and think you can get up -
- Go slowly. Roll to your side, then push up on your elbows.
- Use your arms to push yourself on your hands and knees.
- Crawl to a sturdy chair or bed and hold on to it for support.
- Put the foot of your stronger leg flat on the floor.
- Lean forwards and push up using your arms and front leg until you are standing.
- Sit for awhile until you feel rested.
If you know you can’t get up or feel severe pain if you move -
- Call 911.
- If you have a personal alarm, call for help.
- If you can’t get to a phone call, YELL, make noise, bang on the floor or wall. Do whatever you can to get help.
- Get a mobile phone and keep it with you.
- Put phone numbers of neighbors or friends nearby, who can help you, on your phone.
- You may want to get a personal alarm and wear it.
- Practice the above steps for getting up with someone else.