When a person you support is either using the Internet or wants to start using the Internet, you can help them by having a conversation about what people do on the Internet and things to be aware of to stay safe.
Here are some conversation starters
- What are your favorite things to do online?
- What is personal information? Why should you keep it private?
- What kinds of things can you do to be safer when using the Internet?
- What would you do if someone you met on the Internet asked to meet you face-to-face?
- Besides me, are there other people that you trust that you can talk to if something on the Internet makes you scared or uncomfortable?
Keep up the conversation. If something bad happens, don’t overreact. Talk it through and help the person figure out a way to deal with it.