What is the internet?
- It is how computers all over the world talk to each other.
- It lets you connect the computer you use to another computer.
- The internet is easy to learn.
The internet can be fun!
Do you use the internet? You can use it to:
- Find things to do
- Plan a trip
- Write to friends and family
- Buy things
You have to be careful.
- Some people who use the internet are trying to break the law.
- They might ask you for things that will help them steal from you or hurt you.
- If you use the internet, it’s important to keep yourself safe from these people.
What do they ask for?
- They ask for your personal information.
They might ask for:
- Your name, address, or phone number;
- Your birth date;
- Your social security number; or
- Your credit card number or bank information.
What do I do?
The best things to do are:
- Just say no
- Do not give out personal information over the internet
What if I get an email from someone I do not know?
- If you do not know the person or company who sent it, do not open it!
Some people will pretend to be your bank or credit card company.
- Do not give them any information.
- If you are not sure, ask someone.
- Or, call your bank or credit card company and ask about it.
What if I buy things on the internet?
- If you do, you may need to use a credit card.
- Look for a sign that tells you the website is safe.
Other ways people can steal your personal information.
- They use email to put a virus in your computer.
- The virus sends people your personal information.
Make sure to:
- Get a program to protect your computer from a virus; and
- Write down your passwords, do not save them on your computer.
Same thing for your medical information.
- Someone might ask for your insurance or medical record number.
- They will use the information to buy medicine and charge it to you.
- Do not give anyone that information online.
- If you buy medicine online, make sure it is a safe website.
Can you make friends on the internet?
- You can meet new people on the internet.
Good places to meet people on the internet are:
- Websites for self-advocates
- Websites about things you enjoy, like movies or games
What if someone on the internet asks to meet you?
- Sometimes, people who meet on the internet like to see each other.
- It can be fun to meet someone in person.
- Sometimes people on the internet do not tell the truth. They may not really be your friend.
- You have to be careful and stay safe!
How can you stay safe if an internet friend asks you to meet them?
- Talk to someone about it.
- A friend, family member, or someone who works with you can help you decide if you should go.
How can you be safe if an internet friend asks you to meet them?
- If you do meet someone, take someone with you and meet in a very public place, like a:
- Place to eat
- You should never go alone to meet someone.
To find out more on internet safety: