Before you go outside:
- Put on sunscreen with SPF 15 or higher 30 minutes before you go outside.
- Don’t forget to put sunscreen on your skin that is exposed to the sun, such as your ears, feet, shoulders, and the back of your hands and neck.
- Put on a lip balm with sunscreen in it.
- Put on your sunglasses (make sure to buy sunglasses with 100% UV protection).
- Put on a hat.
Once you are out in the sun:
- Try to stay in the shade as much as possible by sitting or standing under an umbrella or under a tree.
- Reapply sunscreen at least every 2 to 3 hours (more often if you have been swimming or sweating).
- Drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration and heat stroke.