A fire in your home could destroy:
A fire in your home is a danger to you!
If you are near a phone, call 9-1-1 for emergency help.
It may not be safe to leave if:
Steps you can take to leave a fire safely are in this DDS Safety Net article.
Install smoke alarms in your home and test them monthly to make sure they are still working.
Keep a small fire extinguisher in your kitchen and learn how and when to use it properly.
Plan the best way to leave your home if a fire does start, with help from your family and supports.
If any electric appliance makes a spark or has an unusual smell, turn it off and unplug it right away.
Do not use wires or plugs that look old and worn and never plug too many appliances in the same electrical outlet.
Only burn candles when someone is in the same room to watch them; never leave them alone.
Always stay in the kitchen while you are cooking.
If you have a fireplace, keep a glass or metal screen in front of it.
Keep things that can burn (such as clothing, dishtowels, and newspapers) away from heaters, fireplaces, and stove tops.
If you smoke, do not smoke in the house.
Last updated on June 22nd, 2010