Staying active helps you stay healthy.
- To stay healthy, you should:
- Talk to your doctor before you start new exercises
- Try to exercise every day
- Exercise for at least 30 minutes every time you exercise
Talk to your doctor before starting new exercises.
- Your doctor will check your:
- General health
- The way you move
- Talk to your doctor about:
- Which exercises are best for you
- How to stay safe while exercising
Pick an activity or exercise you enjoy.
- Some examples of exercise are:
- Riding a bike
- Dancing to music
- Going for a walk or taking a hike
- Arm cycling
- Yoga or Tai Chi
- Try different kinds of exercises to decide what you like best.
People who have trouble moving their body can also exercise.
- If you use a wheelchair, you can lift weights, stretch, or swim.
- Learn more about exercising in a wheelchair:
- Ask your doctor or people at the gym about which exercises are right for you.
You can exercise while you do other things.
- While you watch TV, you can:
- Stretch during commercials
- Go to the TV to change the channel
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator
- Cleaning house is also a great way to exercise
Start off slowly.
- Start by walking or slowly doing a physical activity.
- Try going a little farther and longer each day.
- Exercise with someone else.
- It’s easier to exercise with a friend.
For more information on how to live a healthy life:
- Exercise and Fitness Advice for People with Disabilities
- Safe Exercise Guidelines
Last updated on March 26th, 2010