When the sun stays up longer…
- It is fun to eat outside.
- You can cook outside too.
- Many people cook outside using a barbeque or grill.
Types of Barbeques
- Some people use gas barbeques.
- Some use charcoal barbeques.
- Here are safety tips about both:
- Never leave a barbecue unattended!
- Never move a lit barbecue.
- Use long-handled forks, spatulas, and spoons.
Barbeque Safety Tips
- Use a barbeque with a lid.
- Do not cook on a balcony or deck.
- Make sure the ground is flat.
- Stay away from trees.
- Cook at least ten feet away from your house or apartment building.
If there are flames on the grill:
- Do not put water on the fire!
- For gas grills:
- Turn off the burners
- If it is safe, turn off the tank valve
- For charcoal grills:
If the flames do not go out:
- Report It! Call 9-1-1!
- Call the Fire Department right away.
- Fight It! – But only if the fire is small.
- You may fight it after you report it.
- Use a fire extinguisher.
- Escape It!
- If the fire gets big, or goes near the gas tank, get away from it. Wait far away from it for the Fire Department to come.
Learn more about barbeque safety
Last updated on April 2nd, 2010