Learn how to assist individuals to keep a healthy mouth. Here are a few quick tips for when the individual requires more support. Print the full list of tips here!
Para ver en español, haga clic aquí.
Upang tingnan sa tagalog, mag-click dito.
- Make brushing and flossing a happy experience. Explain to the individual how you are going to help them to brush their teeth and gums. Use the communication that best fits the individual. This might include plain words, gestures/signs, pictures or objects that will help them understand.
- Create an environment that works for the individual and you. Make sure the person is relaxed and comfortable. Remember it can be scary and unpleasant to have your teeth brushed by someone else. Take your time, brush slowly and stop for rests.
- Usually, it is best to stand behind and slightly to one side of the individual. Some people like to sit in front of a mirror so they can see what’s happening.
- Help the individual to brush their teeth two times a day. Use a small, soft toothbrush and pea-size amount of standard toothpaste. Brush the teeth in a circular motion from the gums to teeth. Replace the toothbrush at least every three months. An electric toothbrush could be used, but should be introduced gradually.
- Most important, be positive and be persistent in supporting individuals to have healthy, happy mouths!