Leisure activities are things you enjoy doing for fun!
There are many leisure programs and groups in your community.
You and your support providers can find a recreation activity that you will enjoy!
Leisure activities = fun!
Everyone does different things to have fun.
- Some people like to play sports.
- Some people like to read books.
- Some people like to dance to music.
There are many fun and healthy activities in your community.
This presentation will help you think of fun ways to get exercise.
To learn about other kinds of community activities, check out this worksheet.
Doing things in your community is good for your body!
Physical activity improves your health and fitness.
- If you exercise with a friend, or a group of friends, you may have more fun!
- When you have fun, you may decide you want to exercise more often!
Getting exercise in your community is also good for your mind!
You can relax and reduce stress.
You can meet new people and build your social support system.
What do you like to do?
You can think about what physical activities you like.
You can think about new physical activities that you would like to try!
- You won’t know if you like something until you try it!
Do you like walking?
If you enjoy walking, you can join a walking club where you can:
- Meet others who also like walking
- Find new places to walk with your new friends
Do you like gardening?
If you enjoy gardening, you can join a community garden.
- Or, you can find a neighbor to garden with!
Do you like sports?
You can join a local sports program if you like activities such as:
- Playing catch with your family members
- Swimming or paddling in the water
- Throwing a Frisbee
Do you like to help other people in your community?
You can get exercise and improve your community at the same time!
- You can help clean your local park.
- You can support a good cause by joining a local charity walk.
How can you find out about fun activities in your community?
You and your support providers can look for activities:
- In the newspaper
- On community bulletin boards
- On the internet
- At your local Regional Center
How can you get to community activities?
You and your support providers can plan a safe way to get there.
- You can learn about the bus schedule.
- You can arrange for private transportation.
You do not have to go to activities by yourself.
You may feel better if someone goes with you to activities, especially at first.
- You can ask your support providers to come with you.
- Or you can ask a family member or friend.
Many places in the community are able to support people with developmental disabilities.
You or your support providers can call to ask before you go.
- Some places may have someone there who can meet you when you arrive.
- If you use a wheelchair, you can call to check if the place is accessible for you.
Check out these links to find physical activities in your community.
Your local Park and Recreation Department
Special Olympics – Northern California
Special Olympics – Southern California
National Center on Physical Activity and Disability
More links to learn about other community activities.
Your local Regional Center
Best Buddies California
Life Steps Foundation